As we are currently experiencing a second white out, I am planning my second set of snow dyes. Which reminded me that I had not finished this previous drafted post.
Cue the wibbly screen and spooky music as we go back in time
Overnight on Wednesday last week there was a massive snowstorm. It took its time though. Mom spent most of Wednesday complaining that she had been promised “big” snow
And she hasn’t had any dammit
I had also decided that I wanted to try snow dyeing yarn. A technique that produces truly one-of-a-kind skeins and is extremely time consuming but oh so fun.
As a result, I fully expected no more snow until next winter 😂🤣
But the heavens obliged and we received a few inches of snow.
So I obtained a bucket of snow (with thanks to the hus-creature and my Mothership) and set myself up to produce my first ever snow dyed skein.
It looked amazing. I was so happy. Then, when I tried to wrap it in cling film to steam it? The bloody thing fell into the dye runoff!!!
I was just so angry with myself. But, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and with encouragement from the Mothership (who went to get me another bucket of snow) I started another one off:
So, they weren’t going to be ready to prep til the next day.
Due to the washing and rinsing, the skeins were very tangled so needed to be balled and re-skeined.
The Dye-saster Yarn:
And re-skeined up:
The colours though:
Much darker in shade than I expected.
The two siblings together:
I felt much better after this and decided to carry on.
The last few days have seen me work on these:
These have yet to be fully re-skeined so there will be a further post.
Yes I’ve done a lot, some of those batches contain multiple skeins, but this process is very much weather dependent.
I am having so much fun.
I think the neighbours may truly think I’m crazy now 😂🤣
I need a shop name now….