Tiny Tyrant YARNS Update

Having used my shop/business as my excuse reason for lack of posting over the last week, I felt a fuller update on that was probably in order.

First off, my shop is Here

Please have a browse. I value feedback, and if the muse strikes you, please do make a purchase.

On that topic, I am now up to eight sales. Again, this might not sound like much, but that’s nearly $200 and I am so grateful.

So, everything that is in my shop is ready to ship, and I am currently working on this week’s new stock.

The nature of my processes means that I cannot dye more than two hanks per batch, and I have to wait for the ice to regenerate (Gallifeyan ice anyone?) so it’s a slow but steady feed of fresh stock.

Today’s offering:

The weather was so glorious today I was actually able to completely dry both hands outside and within three hours!

I’m also working on a new set:

These pinks are developing an orange hue as the ice melts. I think the results are going to be extremely interesting.

I must admit that I am still not keen on the large flashes of white that can be produced, but as I’m not using them myself, I have to learn to step away from my rut comfort zone.

I am trying!

Experiments in Snow Dyeing – Parts 1 et al

As we are currently experiencing a second white out, I am planning my second set of snow dyes. Which reminded me that I had not finished this previous drafted post.

Cue the wibbly screen and spooky music as we go back in time

Overnight on Wednesday last week there was a massive snowstorm. It took its time though. Mom spent most of Wednesday complaining that she had been promised “big” snow

And she hasn’t had any dammit

I had also decided that I wanted to try snow dyeing yarn. A technique that produces truly one-of-a-kind skeins and is extremely time consuming but oh so fun.

As a result, I fully expected no more snow until next winter ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

But the heavens obliged and we received a few inches of snow.

So I obtained a bucket of snow (with thanks to the hus-creature and my Mothership) and set myself up to produce my first ever snow dyed skein.

It looked amazing. I was so happy. Then, when I tried to wrap it in cling film to steam it? The bloody thing fell into the dye runoff!!!

๐Ÿ˜ฐ๐Ÿ˜ฐ๐Ÿ˜ฐ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

I was just so angry with myself. But, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and with encouragement from the Mothership (who went to get me another bucket of snow) I started another one off:

So, they weren’t going to be ready to prep til the next day.

Due to the washing and rinsing, the skeins were very tangled so needed to be balled and re-skeined.

The Dye-saster Yarn:

And re-skeined up:

The colours though:

The redye:

Much darker in shade than I expected.

The two siblings together:

I felt much better after this and decided to carry on.

The last few days have seen me work on these:

These have yet to be fully re-skeined so there will be a further post.

Yes I’ve done a lot, some of those batches contain multiple skeins, but this process is very much weather dependent.

I am having so much fun.

I think the neighbours may truly think I’m crazy now ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ


I need a shop name now….